Sunday, August 2, 2009

Medication has been ordered - major milestone




Hi again! First of all, let me say how encouraging it is to read your comments and messages about the blog. It is always scary to put yourself out there when you've kept family and friends in the dark for so long about your infertility struggle. I appreciate everyone who is following us regardless of whether or not they are posting comments/sending messages.

I called Concord, our fertility pharmacy on Thursday just to make sure they had the progesterone in oil (PIO) that was suspended in ethyl oleate (the thinner oil) that we used for our last IUI cycle. They had told me previously that all I needed to do was give them a heads up so that they could make it and have it ready when I needed it. Well, when I called them Thursday, the tech informed me that they could no longer get PIO in ethyl oleate and that I would have to use the PIO in sesame oil or peanut oil, which are much thicker than ethyl oleate. This means that instead of sticking myself with an 1 1/2 inch-long 25 gauge needle, I would have to stick myself with 1 1/2 inch-long 22 gauge needle. I know this does not sound like a big deal, but it's the difference between large, painful bruising and tiny, tender ones. Above, I posted some pictures of the difference between a 21g needle (I didn't have a 22g on hand) and a 25 g needle so that you could see what a difference this would mean for an intra-muscular injection.

Thankfully, we found a pharmacy that could get us the PIO in ethyl oleate so I won't have to worry about that anymore! All of my medications are being delivered to my job on Tuesday on dry ice. I'll have to run home and pack most of them in the fridge until it's time to use them. I think it will finally seem real when every time we open the fridge, there will be our vials of medication sitting next to the milk and eggs! All but one of the medications we have used before when doing IUI but has been awhile. Thankfully there is a refresher course online I can take if I forget anything.

8 comments:

  1. makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about the 22 gauge needle....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those needles are insane! Glad you found a place that will allow you to use the smaller one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too! To both of those comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You two hang in there, all this stuff will be worth it when the little "feller" gets here. We love you next to "DODDDDDD". Aunt Marcie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my stars!!!!! Make sure you grab the right stuff!!! It would be hard to have a chicken for a grandson or grandaughter!! LOL - Love you both!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you don't have to use the thick needles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, honey. I feel for you with those shots. I thought my Lovenox needles were bad (which by needles standards they are not. I am just a big baby over needles.) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete