Sunday, November 15, 2009

It's finally happening!

So most of you, if not all, are aware that Jonathan and I (mostly me) are pregnant. But only a few of you know that Jonathan knew before I did!

When my alarm went off at 4:15am yesterday, I did my pregnancy test as I have been doing since last Sunday. When I saw the control line and no second line appeared, I put the test on the windowsill and went back to bed. I normally throw the test away and I have no idea why I didn't. When my alarm went off again at 6am to remind me to give myself my heparin injection, I got up and went to the guest bathroom to do just that. Jonathan got up and used the master bathroom. When I got back, Jonathan asked me, as calm as can be, "Did you take a pregnancy test this morning?" I told him I had. He then asked, "Did you look at it?" I said yes and asked him why he was asking. He said "no reason" and got back in bed. Then I went to use the bathroom and saw that the "negative" pregnancy test was now positive! I said "I think there's two lines!" and Jonathan told me he thought that was the case and had even looked at the instructions on the box but was worried he might somehow be wrong if I had already looked at the test. He knew I would have woken him up if I had seen the second line.

There was a little bit of drama next as I explained to him that the test results are only valid for ten minutes, and it had been nearly two hours since I had taken the test. So I took another, and it was positive! Five pregnancy tests (and three different brand names) later, we finally started to believe it. I think the real kicker for us was when we took a digital test that read "pregnant" as clear as can be. There's no wondering if you're imagining lines on those things! That was right before we attended a baby shower yesterday afternoon. It made for a much more exciting shower for us!

Today I've only taken three tests. I'm sure I'll take many more this week. My blood test is scheduled for tomorrow and I'll have those results on Tuesday. Then I'll go again for a follow-up blood test on Wednesday or Thursday to make sure the hCG levels are doubling. Doubling hCG rates will calm fears of a chemical or ectopic pregnancy. I'll keep you all posted on those, as I am sure many of you are almost as anxious as we are.

There's still a lot that can go wrong at this point, so we need your prayers more than ever. What we are certain of is that this is a step in the right direction. We are thanking God for this blessing and ask that He continues to keep this pregnancy on a healthy track.

5 comments:

  1. So thrilled for you two!! Good thing you had so many tests on hand. When I told the nurse I got a positive test she asked how many and I said one- was I supposed to take more? She said I probably set the record for their office they had never heard of someone only taking one. The highest they'd had was 18!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you two :) We'll keep all of you in our prayers through the next few weeks and months and hopefully years and years ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, it's a start! Hopefully to something beautiful! Ahhhh...so exciting! I love babies! I believe it's happened at this time for a reason! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I'm John's wife and he gave me the link to your blog. I enjoy following blogs, and my friend Erin has dealt with infertility for several years now (I believe you know her), so it was interesting to read about your journey with her in mind. I am thrilled for your good news but know you are cautious as you wait for test results and appointments. John and I will keep you in our prayers as you travel this road!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So thrilled for you. Now you have to be very careful and I am sure a lot of us are going to continue to pray for you and Jonathan! I know you are on top of the moon! Love Jessie

    ReplyDelete